1 a round vessel that is open at the top; used for holding fruit or liquids or for serving food
2 a concave shape with an open top [syn: trough]
3 a dish that is round and open at the top for serving foods
4 the quantity contained in a bowl [syn: bowlful]
6 a wooden ball (with flattened sides) used in the game of bowls
7 a small round container that is open at the top for holding tobacco [syn: pipe bowl]
1 roll (a ball)
2 engage in the sport of bowling; "My parents like to bowl on Friday nights"
EtymologyProbably from the French boule, a ball.
- (UK) /bəʊl/
- (US) /boʊl/
- A roughly hemispherical container used to hold, mix or present food, such as salad, fruit or soup, or other items.
- As much as is held by a bowl.
- You can’t have any more soup - you’ve had three bowls already.
- The ball rolled by players in the game of lawn bowls.
- (also pudding bowl or bowl cut) A haircut in which straight hair is cut at an even height around the edges, forming a bowl shape.
- A round crater (or similar) in the ground.
- The action of bowling a ball.
- (in plural bowls but used with a singular verb) The game of lawn bowls.
- an important annual game, such as the Orange Bowl, the Rose Bowl, or the Super Bowl
- Amharic: ኀድጓዳ ሳህን
- Arabic: (zibdíyya) , (sulʈaníyya)
- Chinese: 碗 (wǎn)
- Czech: mísa, miska
- Dutch: schaal
- trreq Esperanto
- Finnish: kulho, kuppi, malja, vati
- French: bol
- German: Schale, Schüssel
- Hebrew: קערה
- Hungarian: tál, tálka
- Italian: scodella, ciotola
- Japanese: ボール (bōru), どんぶり (donburi), 鉢 (はち, hachi)
- Korean: 사발 (sabal)
- Kurdish: کاسه
- Lao: ('oo)
- Lithuanian: dubuo
- Portuguese: tigela
- Russian: чаша
- Slovene: skleda
- Spanish: tazón
- Swedish: skål
- Thai: (chaam), (tûay)
as much as is held by a bowl
ball used in lawn bowls
- Italian: boccia
- Lithuanian: dubenėlis
action of bowling a ball
lawn bowls See lawn bowls
- To roll or throw (a ball) in the correct manner in cricket and similar games and sports.
- To throw the ball (in cricket and similar games and sports).
roll or throw (a ball)
- Finnish: keilata
- bowl along
- bowl cut, bowl-cut
- bowling alley
- bowling ball
- bowl out
- bowl over
- fruit bowl
- mixing bowl
- pudding bowl
- salad bowl
- singing bowl
- soup bowl
Bowl may refer to:
- Bowl (drug culture), the receptacle in which marijuana is placed prior to smoking
- Bowl (vessel), a common open-top vessel used to serve food
- Bowls, a precision sport popular in the United Kingdom
- Flush toilet or Toilet bowl
- The Bowl (Douglas), a multi-use stadium in Douglas, Isle of Man.
- Bowl game, a post-season college football game
- The Bowl (Utah vs. New Mexico), an annual college football game
- Super Bowl, the championship game of the National Football League in the United States
- Hollywood Bowl, a modern amphitheater in Hollywood, California, USA
- Bowl cut, a haircut that looks like an inverted bowl on top of the person's head
- Quizbowl, a family of games of questions and answers on all topics of human knowledge
bowl in Japanese: ボウル
adobe, advance, agora, alveolation, alveolus, amphitheater, antrum, arena, armpit, athletic field, auditorium, background, basin, bear garden, biscuit, bisque, boxing ring, brick, bull ring, bunt, butt, campus, canvas, cast, catapult, cave, cave in, cavity, cement, ceramic ware, ceramics, change of pace, change-up, china, chuck, chunk, circus, cockpit, coliseum, colosseum, concave, concavity, course, crater, crock, crockery, crypt, cup, curve, dart, dash, depression, dip, dish, downcurve, drive, enamelware, fastball, field, fire, firebrick, fling, flip, floor, fold, follicle, fork, forum, forward, forward pass, funnel chest, furl, glass, ground, gym, gymnasium, hall, heave, hippodrome, hole, hollow, hollow out, hollow shell, hurl, hurtle, impel, incurve, jerk, jug, knuckleball, lacuna, lance, lateral, lateral pass, launch, let fly, lists, lob, locale, marketplace, mat, milieu, move, open forum, outcurve, palaestra, pan, parade ground, pass, pedal, peg, pelt, pit, pitch, pitchfork, place, platform, pocket, pole, porcelain, pot, pottery, precinct, prize ring, propel, public square, punch bowl, purlieu, push, put, put the shot, range, refractory, retire, retreat, ring, roll, roll up, row, scene, scene of action, scenery, scoop, screwball, serve, service, setting, shell, shot-put, shove, shunt, shy, sink, sinker, sinus, site, slider, sling, snap, socket, sphere, spin, spitball, spitter, squared circle, stadium, stage, stage set, stage setting, sweep, sweep along, terrain, theater, throw, thrust, tile, tiling, tilt, tilting ground, tiltyard, toss, treadle, troll, trough, trundle, upcurve, urn, vase, vug, walk, wheel, wrestling ring